Public Affairs Officer Profiles:
Sam Archer   |   Tessa Kensington   |   Cassie Queen   |||   ABOUT OUR STORY

Thursday, December 29

December in Retrospect

December has been a busy month aboard Enterprise Station, both personally, and professionally. Alas, however, circumstances were not permissive of regular posting from the PAO, but, a new year should change that. Being the PAO representative for the entire sector is a lot of work.

Here’s a quick recap of the past few weeks….

Earlier this month, we saw our first visiting species from the Gamma Quadrant. They called themselves, the Wadi. They are near-Human in appearance, but have unique geometric tattoos across their foreheads. They love gaming, and they eagerly introduced us to a peculiar game called “Chula”, which was played both with game pieces on an elaborate multi-level game board, and by a second set of players within a virtual world generated by the game. Our Commander Chakotay was not pleased to be selected as one of the virtual world players.

The Wadi also seemed to be oddly fascinated by the game of baseball, which we didn’t play while they were aboard the station. I am almost certain, however, that they will come back here at some point in the near future, just to challenge us to a nine-inning game. I, for one, don’t plan to miss that opportunity!

Before they left, the Wadi also gifted an array of items to Enterprise Station, including a barrel of alpha-current nectar to the PAO, and a small sack of gemstones from their home world. Lieutenant (JG) Tessa Kensington also – somehow -- managed to win a wardrobe of Wadi fashion apparel in an unusual game called, “Gavatrix”, which she was surprisingly skilled at playing (despite having never played it before). And, Captain Riker won a new hat.

Not all of December was enjoyable, however. A bad strain of the common cold spread through the station, and got mixed with Anagolian Chromatitis that one of our runabout crews brought back from the Gamma Quadrant. So, not only did the station crew suffer through severe cold and sinus issues, but the Chromatitis also caused the skin of those infected to temporarily change colors. It is unlikely that we will ever again see a purple Lieutenant Commander Geordi La Forge, a blue-skinned Captain Riker, or a green Orion-like Tessa Kensington.

Thankfully, most of the station inhabitants have recovered, and all affected skin tones are nearly back to normal, with the odd exception of Lieutenant Commander Data who is still light pink in color. We have yet to determine how – and why – he, an android, was affected by the Chromatitis. Perhaps that is just one of the mysteries of science that will never truly be answered.

December is also the month of Christmas, so despite the illnesses raging through Enterprise Station, holiday decorations still managed to brighten the corridors and lounges. Ten Forward looks stunning in the glow of twinkling colored lights; the deck ten mall is festooned in beautiful lights, garland, and seasonal artwork; the station’s first Nativity display has been deeply inspiring sight; and the girls of the PAO managed to brighten up our own PAO lounge as well, despite their own Chromatitis challenges.

On a personal level, I also had another temporal dream, which, I think, sheds a great deal of light on the who of my temporal experiences. On Christmas morning, I went back in time to Bethlehem. I was one of the shepherds in the field, who witnessed the throng of angels announcing the birth of Jesus. Yes, that really happened. I traveled to the manger, and I looked upon the face of my Savior. It was the most profound temporal experience that I have had thus far, and one that I will never forget. Given the destination, and the timing, I believe God may have a hand in my temporal dreams. How, and to what purpose, remains uncertain. Those of you who do not share my faith, may think me crazy, but I have seen what I have seen, and I have been where I have said. There must be a reason, and, following my visit to the manger, I am all the more determined to learn as much as I can from, and about, these experiences.

December has been a busy month, and, so far, it’s not over yet. There are still two more days to go before we ring in 2370. And I think 2370 is going to be a hard year to forget.

-Lieutenant Commander Sam Archer

-------------------------------------------------------------
December 29, 2369 – (Devron Timeline 3.0)