Public Affairs Officer Profiles:
Sam Archer   |   Tessa Kensington   |   Cassie Queen   |||   ABOUT OUR STORY

Thursday, July 14

Unexplained Visitors

I am emotionally compromised, distracted, and thoroughly confused by today’s events. An old wound, in my heart, has resurfaced, and I don’t know how to handle it.

In short, earlier today, my old pre-Academy girlfriend appeared aboard the Enterprise-D. I met her in 2350, while we were both actors in the Earth film, “Worlds Unknown” -- an adventure story about a civilian starship crew exploring space. In the movie (released in 2351), I played the role of Eddie Benson, the ship’s engineer. My girlfriend – established celebrity actress, Mara Kendricks – played the role of the ship’s nurse, Lana Martin. You may have seen it. “Worlds Unknown” is a popular film, even now, 18 years later.

Our characters, Eddie and Lana, were not in a relationship in the movie, but the two of us, Sam and Mara, got along well on the set. I fell in love with Mara (deeply, in fact), and she shared those feelings, so we started dating. We were a perfect match, devoted, grounded, and already starting to discuss a future life together. A year and a half later, our relationship became long-distance when I entered Starfleet Academy, a decision Mara lovingly supported.

Unfortunately, in 2352, our relationship came to a sudden end when Mara disappeared. She was participating in a UFSO tour at the time, and was aboard the Starfleet ship, USS Chogatta (Constellation-class), when it mysteriously vanished. I was a second-year cadet at the Academy. Neither the USS Chogatta, nor its crew, has ever been found. Seventeen years later, they are still missing, and presumed dead – lost, somewhere in the inky black of space.

Today, however, Mara Kendricks appeared aboard the USS Enterprise-D. She is the same 23-year-old beauty I loved the year she disappeared. She has no idea why, or how she appeared aboard the Enterprise-D, and she does not remember the events of the Chogatta’s disappearance. She’s here, she loves me as much as she did the day she disappeared, and I, a 41-year-old man (with the body of a 30-year-old, courtesy of the Devron Anomaly) am left with old – intense -- feelings that I had been forced to put behind me long ago.

My heart is broken – and overjoyed – at the same time.

What baffles me most about Mara’s sudden reappearance, though, is that she isn’t the only one. Other Enterprise-D crew have reported the sudden reappearance of old friends, deceased loved ones, beloved pets, favorite celebrities, even a few rivals and hated enemies. In addition, somehow, there’s also an old Ford pickup truck in Shuttlebay 2, a squad of WWIII British soldiers on our Marine Base deck, American President George Washington in one of our science labs, a velociraptor currently confined to the empty (unused) cetacean tanks on the lower decks of the Enterprise-D saucer, and it’s snowing in our Main Shuttlebay.

Yes… real snow.

Like I said…. I am emotionally compromised, distracted, and thoroughly confused by today’s events. Most of us, aboard the Enterprise-D, are as well. We have no answers. I can only state the obvious: these people, and objects, ARE real. We can touch them, smell them, see them…. They ARE here, and they are just as confused as we are. Many of them should not exist.

Captain Picard has ordered the ship into quarantine mode, until we can figure out what’s happening. I’m afraid it’s going to be a long, long.... LONG night.

-Lieutenant Sam Archer

-------------------------------------------------------------
July 14, 2369 – (Devron Timeline 3.0)