Public Affairs Officer Profiles:
Sam Archer   |   Tessa Kensington   |   Cassie Queen   |||   ABOUT OUR STORY

Friday, May 31

The Eagle Has Landed


The Enterprise has a new shuttle – my personal shuttle, the “Eagle”. I put in a request to have her brought aboard back when I was assigned here last year, and nothing came of it. Now that we’re back at Earth, my request has been approved, and I brought her aboard this afternoon. She’ll be stored (and maintained) in Shuttlebay 3.

The “Eagle” is a standard Type-6 shuttle, purchased from the civilian market. It has warp engines capable of warp 1, and a beautiful metallic blue hull. My uncle William owned a number of shuttles during his life, and left the “Eagle” to me in his will. He passed away, years ago, just before I was accepted into Starfleet Academy.

Since I had my own shuttle in a hanger back home, I was eager to learn how to pilot shuttlecraft at the Academy. Over the years, I’ve taken the “Eagle” out for a spin whenever I’ve been home, but I’ve always wanted to put her to better use. With my status aboard the Enterprise, and my qualifications as a pilot, Captain Picard finally approved my request to bring her aboard. I’ll have to rent parking and maintenance space (since she is a civilian vessel), but the “Eagle” can more readily fly with the Enterprise as her base of operations. I, of course, will be her pilot.

I’m actually rather lucky in this regard. While the Enterprise is, essentially, a warp-powered city, with a civilian populace -- in addition to the crew that maintain her, there isn’t much room for permanently based civilian vessels. The ship’s compliment of Starfleet Type-6 shuttles, Type-7 cargo shuttles, Type-15 shuttlepods, FFC fighters, Danube-class runabouts, workbees, and visiting commships, handle almost all of the auxiliary vessel needs. The only other civilian vessel based aboard the Enterprise, is a transport shuttle owned by one of our civilian science teams. So, for me to have the “Eagle” aboard, is a rare opportunity to say the least.

Here’s hoping the “Eagle” can become an active part of this ship’s compliment – perhaps of use to the Public Affairs Office. Maybe an away mission or two. We’ll see. Just the fact that she can travel with me (and doesn’t have to sit unused on Earth) has me excited at the possibilities!

-Lieutenant Sam Archer

-------------------------------------------------------------
May 31, 2364 -- (Original Devron Timeline)