Public Affairs Officer Profiles:
Sam Archer   |   Tessa Kensington   |   Cassie Queen   |||   ABOUT OUR STORY

Wednesday, May 15

Sam Archer: Temporal Dreams?

My job, here in the Public Affairs Office, is to write about the USS Enterprise, her crew, and the events that occur during her missions. This post, though, will be a bit different. See, I’ve noticed something in myself that deeply concerns me – and it very likely relates to the anti-time anomaly we destroyed in the Devron System….

I think I can travel through time. But I can’t prove it.

After the anomaly was destroyed, the Enterprise was instantly propelled a year into the future. When the dust settled, I was found in my office, unconscious and barely breathing. I was rushed to the medical deck, and remained in a coma for nearly a day. During that time, I experienced events from the past – actual, historical events – as if I was there, experiencing them in person.

Now, I should note, my dreams are usually vivid and clear. They seem real, but I know they’re nothing more than my subconscious mind processing information while I sleep. Twice now -- since the anomaly -- my dreams have taken on a whole new reality. I feel as though I’ve experienced actual events, and in both cases, I was not intimately familiar with the events before I dreamed them. After I woke up, I researched the events in the Federation historical archives, and what I experienced, is exactly how those events played out in history.

My first “dream” placed me aboard the old Earth steamship, RMS Titanic, in 1912. I experienced the ship’s entire maiden voyage across the Atlantic Ocean, through iceburg-infested waters, and ending safely in New York City on April 17, 1912. I experienced the entire voyage through the eyes of a first-class passenger – a young woman named Liliana Barton. I looked her up – there was, indeed, a Liliana Barton listed on the crew manifest.

And last night, while I slept in my quarters, I “experienced” the events around Dr. Zefram Cochrane’s launch of the Phoenix in 2063 – the first political contact between Humans and Vulcans -- near Cochrane’s private spaceport in Bozeman, Montana. I witnessed these events through the eyes of a young scientist named Josiah Whitley, who, incidentally, was a member of Dr. Cochrane’s warp propulsion team during that time.

I’ve been checked out by Medical after both dreams, and while they did discover some unusual activity in the memory centers of my brain, there is no proof that I was actually at those events. Yet, I remember them as clear as day, and my experiences are a perfect match to the events, people, and accounts in the historical archives.

I know it sounds odd, but I can’t help wondering whether I am now able to subconsciously witness the past. These “dreams” both occurred after the Enterprise destroyed a temporal anomaly in the Devron System, and I am one of only two people aboard the Enterprise (Captain Picard being the other) who have not suffered memory loss. I am also the only person to report dreams like this. Was I spared any memory loss, but now I have temporal dreams instead?

This is disconcerting to say the least. Even moreso because it can’t be proven.

This recent anomaly has affected all of us aboard the Enterprise, and, I am certain we’ll be carrying these experiences with us for a long time. What we went through as a ship and crew, has never been recorded before. We are the only people known to experience “anti-time”. We are also the only crew that has “de-aged”. Like it or not, we just went where no one has gone before.

-Lieutenant Sam Archer

-------------------------------------------------------------
May 15, 2364 -- (Original Devron Timeline)